By Charles Sercombe
A Hamtramck High School student is facing a felony terrorism charge after allegedly phoning in a threat to “shoot up the school.”
The call was made Wednesday afternoon, which prompted district Superintended Tom Niczay to close down the high school, community center and Horizon High School as a “precautionary” measure.
Those three buildings remained closed until Friday, March 23.
Niczay said Hamtramck police immediately began an investigation and by Thursday the caller had been arrested. According to Niczay the student made the threat because they “didn’t want to go to the school.”
No further details about the student, including whether it was a male or female, were released. Police Chief Anne Moise issued a press release on Thursday saying the youth has been charged with “making a threat of terrorism and also with using a telephone in commission of a felony.”
Moise added that the student was charged as a juvenile. The terrorism charge carries a prison sentence of up to 20 years.
Hamtramck Public Schools were among 30 school districts this week to receive safety threats.
Most of the threats were made through social media, authorities said. In Oak Park, a threat posted on social media prompted the closing of all public schools for Thursday and Friday.