Those most at risk of catching the flu once again took advantage of Wayne County’s free flu vaccines.
On Saturday, the Hamtramck High School Community Center once again hosted the county’s flu shots. Several weeks ago thousands showed up for the shots, but the crowd this time around was much thinner.
It’s unclear when vaccines for the H1N1 virus – commonly known as the swine flu – will be made available to the general public. In the meantime, follow these tips to prevent catching the bug:
• People with respiratory illness should stay home from work or school to avoid spreading infections, including influenza, to others in the community.
• Those sick with the H1N1 Flu should stay at home for 24 hours after fever subsides without the use of fever reducing medicines.
• Avoid close contact with people who are coughing or otherwise appear ill.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
• Wash hands frequently with soap and water or a hand sanitizer with alcohol content of more than 60 percent.
• Use proper cough and sneeze etiquette such as coughing into your elbow.
By Charles Sercombe