New businesses are taking root in Hamtramck
About a dozen new businesses will open in Hamtramck this summer. Beignets, which started as a food truck but will soon move to a building on Jos. Campau, is one of them.
By Ian Perrotta
Business owners around Detroit are now discovering what people in Hamtramck have always known: the city is a great place to do business in.
Over the next few months, about a dozen shops are slated to open throughout town. The Review will highlight each one individually over the next several weeks, but here is an overview of what’s to come:
- Perkins Pickles: Owned and operated by the eponymous Tom Perkins, Perkins Pickles used to operate out of the restaurant Traffic Jam & Snug before moving to a 1,500-square-foot house-turned-retail-space at 2635 Caniff.
- Flavor Restaurant: Long in the works, this soul food restaurant — to be operated by School Board President Titus Walters — was once slated to open in the ground floor of the large building at Jos. Campau and Belmont. However, after years of inactivity, the location has been moved just down the street, next to the soon-to-be-open Beignets.
- Beignets: Inspired by the great tastes of New Orleans, local business owners Michele Pearson and her partner Mark Hausner’s latest business will serve up its namesake (a donut-like pastry) and chicory coffee. The business will share a kitchen with Flavor.
- Cafe Europa: Located at 11547 Jos. Campau, this European-style cafe was supposed to open last year but plans were put on hold. Look for it to begin operation sometime in the summer.
- Rock City Pies: If you miss going to Maria’s Comida for lunch, get back in the habit — sort of. Opening this summer, Rock City Pies recently signed a three-year lease at the old Maria’s location and will soon start serving — you guessed it — pies.
- Cupcak’n: Not in the mood for a pie? Is a whole cake just too much? This summer, stop by Cupcak’n on Evaline, where you can design your own cupcake with eight different cupcake flavors, 14 kinds of frosting and over 20 different toppings.
- Hammer & Cycle: A long overdue business for Hamtramck, Hammer& Cycle is a bike shop featuring new and used bikes and equipment as well as repairs. The shop is located at Edwin and Jos. Campau.
- Styrecycle: One of only a few centers in the country dedicated to recycling polystyrene foam, this business will turn your trash into their treasure — all while saving the environment.
- Hamtramck Recycling & Transfer Center: Another business set to profit from waste, the Hamtramck Recycling & Transfer Center is located on Denton and is looking to hire a number of Hamtramck residents to work in its facility.
- Sticks, Strings and Other Things: Another business that has been in the works for years, Sticks, Strings and Other Things should finally open this summer. Located on Florian, the business will be a one-stop-shop for musicians looking to get accessories and other light musical equipment.
Of course, every new beginning comes from some other beginning’s end, so we’d also like to take the time to recognize a few of the businesses that didn’t make it this year.
- Hungry Howie’s
- Al’s Corral
- Maria’s Comida
- New Deluxe Bakery
- Leka’s Clock